Saturday, October 3, 2009

Orlando Furioso and Golden Age of Illustration


Back in the 60’s and 70’s when I was just beginning to make my way through the world of illustration and graphic design I had some heroes. I followed their art and career closely. I purchased the New York Society of Illustrators annual exhibition book whenever I could scrape together what was then a lot of money.  I called my heroes the “gang of five” – Bob Peak, Mark English, Bernie Fuchs, Robert Heindel and Bob Pepper. The 60’s, 70’s and early 80’s were a golden age of illustration. This was a time before the emergence of focus groups that would put an end to daring statements and thought provoking designs that originated from the spirit of the artist.  This is all cyclic and has to do with control and branding - the balance scale of popularity between photography and illustration - and the intelligence, daring and persuasive skills of the art director. I was lucky to see their work on the weekly covers of Reader’s digest, posters for the movies I went to and covers of the records I bought. Wow, vinyl record jackets gave a terrific platform for some amazing illustration. The Bob Pepper illustration for Orlando Furioso is a great example. Each of the five illustrators I mentioned had a distinct style. I could tell a Bob Peak cover of Reader’s Digest from half a block away. Bob Pepper’s style was intricate and jewel like, yet had a freedom that only watercolor (or dyes) can produce.


Clockwise from upper left: Bernie fuchs, Mark English, Robert Heindel, and Bob Peak - you may also remember the latter's dramatic movie poster for Apocalypse Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment